What is the mantra for all skincare products? Stop the ageing process, aka anti-ageing. From creams that offer instant lift to miracle serums with deep wrinkle repair properties, we are bombarded with the message that ageing should and can be stopped.
Can this be right? We don't think so. Ageing is a fact of life and we can choose to age positively and embrace the changes or fight it.
The skin changes and naturally ages - what lifestyle, nutrition and skincare can do is to support this natural process and delay evident changes in skin structure and texture.
One key step to build up a correct age-delay skincare routine is to identify the best active ingredients and learn how to use them for your skin type and condition. Let's dig more.
In this article we will focus on:
- What is a Skincare Active Ingredient?
- What are the main functions of Age-delay Skincare Active Ingredients?
- 10 Most Effective Natural Active Ingredients for Age-delay
What is a Skincare Active Ingredient?
To simplify, a skincare active ingredient is a targeted, smart, dynamic compound that works on the skin both internally and externally to keep it healthy, hydrated, nourished, protected and to support the cell renewal process.
There are quite a lot of Anti-Ageing Active Ingredients used in skincare - some are good, some are excellent and some are true superstars.
Is a Plant-based Active Ingredient better than a Synthetic one?
Plant-based Actives are not necessarily better than their Synthetic counterparts: they are usually more gentle but they are more pricey.
Take for instance Q10 (Ubiquinone). the plant-based version (usually derived from sesame, pistachio or peanut) costs more than 3 times synthetic Q10.
What are the main functions of Age-delay Skincare Active Ingredients?
In a nutshell:
- remove dead skin cells
- support cell renewal
- fight free radicals / protect from oxidative damage
- protect from UV radiation damage
- stimulate collagen synthesis
10 Most Effective Natural Active Ingredients for Age-delay
We have picked 10 incredibly high-performance age-delay active ingredients that we think are essential for every age-delay skincare routine, no matter the skin type or condition.
- AHA's (Lactic acid, Glycolic acid, Malic acid...) to exfoliate and resurface the skin from dead cells.
- TEA EXTRACT (Epigallocatechin gallate) ranked among the strongest natural antioxidant
- GRAPE / BERRIES EXTRACT (Resveratrol) an antioxidant that protects the skin from UV rays damages
- RICE EXTRACT (Oryzanol, Ferulic acid) Oryzanol function as protective shield against UV and melanin synthesis; Ferulic acid has a protective role for the main skin structures: keratinocytes, fibroblasts, collagen, elastin.
- GREEN COFFEE EXTRACT (Chlorogenic acid) inhibits glycation or skin ageing and hyperpigmentation
- BAKUCHI EXTRACT/RETINOL/ VITAMIN A (Bakuchiol) potent antioxidant, visibly reduces skin discolorations from environmental stressors and improves fine lines and wrinkles, pigmentation, elasticity, firmness.
- VITAMIN C (Ascorbyl palmitate, Ascorbic acid) potent antioxidant and encourages new collagen growth
- HYALURONIC ACID (Hyaluronic acid) excellent skin hydration booster and helps reduce the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles retaining moisture to the skin.
- Q10 (Ubiqionone) Energizes cell activity, stimulates collagen and elastin production
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol) antioxidant with moisturizing and healing properties and helps to strengthen skin barrier function.
Native Essentials products are a balanced combination of selected actives, antioxidants and functional ingredients formulated to perform well without being too aggressive on the skin. Check out our Age-Delay skincare Collection:
Modern Cosmetics - Damjan Janes, Nina Kocevar Glavac