In a world were anti-ageing seems to be the mantra for all skincare products, we all know that using the word anti-ageing feels not right.
The skin changes and naturally ages - what lifestyle, nutrition and skincare can do is to support this natural process and delay evident changes in skin structure and texture.
One key step to build up a correct age-delay skincare routine is to identify the best active ingredients and learn how to use them for your skin type and condition. Let's dig more.
What is a Skincare Active Ingredient?
To simplify, a skincare active ingredient is a targeted, smart, dynamic compound that works on the skin both internally and externally to keep it healthy, hydrated, nourished, protected and to support the cell renewal process.
There are quite a lot of Anti-Ageing Active Ingredients used in skincare - some are good, some are excellent and some are true superstars.
Is a Plant-based Active Ingredient better than a Synthetic one?
Plant-based Actives are not necessarily better than their Synthetic counterparts: they are usually more gentle but they are more pricey.
Take for instance Q10 (Ubiquinone). the plant-based version (usually derived from sesame, pistachio or peanut) costs more than 3 times synthetic Q10.
What are the main functions of Age-delay Skincare Active Ingredients?
In a nutshell:
- remove dead skin cells
- support cell renewal
- fight free radicals / protect from oxidative damage
- protect from UV radiation damage
- stimulate collagen synthesis
10 Most Effective Natural Active Ingredients for Age-delay
We have picked 10 incredibly high-performance age-delay active ingredients that we think are essential for every age-delay skincare routine, no matter the skin type or condition.
- AHA's (Lactic acid, Glycolic acid, Malic acid...) to exfoliate and resurface the skin from dead cells.
- TEA EXTRACT (Epigallocatechin gallate) ranked among the strongest natural antioxidant
- GRAPE / BERRIES EXTRACT (Resveratrol) an antioxidant that protects the skin from UV rays damages
- RICE EXTRACT (Oryzanol, Ferulic acid) Oryzanol function as protective shield against UV and melanin synthesis; Ferulic acid has a protective role for the main skin structures: keratinocytes, fibroblasts, collagen, elastin.
- GREEN COFFEE EXTRACT (Chlorogenic acid) inhibits glycation or skin ageing and hyperpigmentation
- BAKUCHI EXTRACT/RETINOL/ VITAMIN A (Bakuchiol) potent antioxidant, visibly reduces skin discolorations from environmental stressors and improves fine lines and wrinkles, pigmentation, elasticity, firmness.
- VITAMIN C (Ascorbyl palmitate, Ascorbic acid) potent antioxidant and encourages new collagen growth
- HYALURONIC ACID (Hyaluronic acid) excellent skin hydration booster and helps reduce the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles retaining moisture to the skin.
- Q10 (Ubiqionone) Energizes cell activity, stimulates collagen and elastin production
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol) antioxidant with moisturizing and healing properties and helps to strengthen skin barrier function.
Native Essentials products are a balanced combination of selected actives, antioxidants and functional ingredients formulated to perform well without being too aggressive on the skin. Check out our Age-Delay skincare Collection:
Modern Cosmetics - Damjan Janes, Nina Kocevar Glavac