Dry or Dehydrated Skin? Identify it, fix it and maintain it.
Is DRY skin the same as DEHYDRATED skin?
The answer is no, even if both tend to feel the same. Let's dig a bit more and learn how to understand if you have dry or dehydrated skin, identify the best skincare ingredients for your skin, and how to maintain the best routine.
STEP 1: UNDERSTAND DRY VS DEHYDRATED SKIN
DRY SKIN is a condition and is characterized by fewer oil-producing glands on the face and body. DEHYDRATED SKIN is a temporary state when your skin does not retain or does not receive enough water; this is linked to many factors - environmental, physiological, or wrong skincare applied (or a combination of the three).
DRY skin is DEHYDRATED skin, but DEHYDRATED skin is not necessarily DRY skin.
DRY SKIN = not enough OIL
DEHYDRATED SKIN = not enough WATER
STEP 2: DETERMINE IF DRY, DEHYDRATED OR BOTH
If you have DRY skin:
- every skincare you apply is absorbed very fast
- your skin feels very tight, uneven, dull
- you’re dry everywhere else on your body, including hands, scalp, and legs
- if you don't exfoliate regularly, products don't get fully absorbed
If you have DEHYDRATED skin:
- your skin texture changes based on weather and humidity
- you feel dry but your skin responds immediately to water-rich products
- you may experience occasional breakouts when the skin is particularly dehydrated or you use very harsh cleansing products
- your skin may feel itchy and sensitive
If you have DRY and DEHYDRATED skin:
- your skin is very itchy and very sensitive
- your skin may get inflamed and flaky
- you may develop a mild skin irritation and a breakout
- wrinkles and fine lines are more visible
STEP 3: TREAT
TO DO LIST FOR DRY SKIN:
Dry skin means that your skin does not produce enough oil - you need to protect and strengthen the skin barrier and maximise both penetration and retention of water and oils.
BEST INGREDIENTS FOR DRY SKIN:
AHA, BHA, rich cold-pressed oils, natural butters. phytol, isomalt, squalene hyaluronic acid
TO DO LIST FOR DEHYDRATED SKIN:
Dehydrated skin means that your skin lacks enough water - you need to hydrate the skin at a deep level (Epidermis, Dermis) to facilitate the skin cells renew process + control skin PH fluctuation ... and drink more water.
BEST INGREDIENTS FOR DRY SKIN:
AHA, PHA, light cold-pressed oils. Vit. C + B3 + B8, trehalose, glycoin, hyaluronic acid, glycerin
STEP 4: MAINTAIN YOUR SKIN NOURISHED AND HYDRATED
Whether you have DRY skin or experience DEHYDRATED skin on and off, it is essential to:
- pick a skincare product that addresses your lack of oil (DRY) or water (DEHYDRATED)
- layer your products correctly
- use it in the right amount
- exfoliate on a weekly base
- drink more water
- use protective products if where you live is very cold or very dry
Check out our 100% plant-based solutions for DRY and DEHYDRATED Skin.
Is your skin dry or dehydrated? We’d love to hear your tips and tricks to keeping your skin looking its best. Tell us in the comments below and join the conversation on social media.